- Our Blog
Many people think that a writer’s best friend is the dictionary, but I respectfully disagree. The true holy grail is the style guide—and the same is true for anyone working in social media. For new employees, a social media style guide offers the answer to almost any question imaginable. It also offers guidelines that can help speed up the on-boarding process, ensuring a smoot ...
You do it all. From planning long-term strategy and reviewing your analytics to wolfing down a sandwich while you create images for Facebook with one hand and reply to people individually on Twitter with the other. No matter what social media hat gets thrown at you—designer, analyst, copywriter—you’ve got to be ready to wear it.
We talk a lot about the opportunities offered by social media, but there’s no denying that there are serious risks that come along with it too. From a damaged reputation to financial losses, there are many ways that social media could potentially end up being more harmful than helpful. Luckily it’s not all doom and gloom.
I’ve never had a full-fledged makeover, but I can imagine how good it feels. Even after a simple trim I find myself strutting down the street, flipping my hair like I’m starring in a shampoo commercial. Admittedly, I feel a similar sense of pride when I clean up my digital appearance, changing my profile photo or updating my info.
It’s not healthy to eat stuffed crust pizza three times a day. Dogs get stressed out when we hug them. Beyoncé will never be your best friend. Don’t shoot the messenger, I’m just here to remind you that reality can be harsh. And the reality of working in social media is no exception. Every job has its challenges of course, but as we all continue to ride the rapidly-evolving ro ...
When your boss asks you for the ROI of your latest social media campaign, how do you respond? Too many social media managers fall back on the easy answers: we gained this many new Twitter followers, this many Retweets, this many Facebook shares, and so on. Sure, these social media metrics offer surface insights into how a campaign or piece of content performed, but they don’t r ...
There’s nothing more frustrating than hitting a plateau on social media. You stop gaining new followers as quickly as you once did. You craft what you believe to be a hilarious yet relevant post only to watch it sadly sit on your timeline with zero likes or replies. You start scrambling to come up with new tactics to get things moving again but feel like you’ve exhausted every avenue.
One morning a few years ago I finished my bowl of cereal, put everything away, started brushing my teeth while simultaneously putting on my shoes, and heard my roommate laughing at me from the couch. Suspicious of anyone even remotely happy at seven-something in the morning, I demanded she explain herself but all she said was, “open the fridge.
I’ll be honest. The first thing I thought when you-know-what happened to you-know-who on the recent Game of Thrones finale was, “oh my god I need to get on Twitter.” Twitter is where the pulse of big events lives. From breaking news about natural disasters to the finale of an epic television show, we live-tweet things so that we don’t feel like we’re experiencing them alone.
I know you’ve put months—maybe years—of effort into your Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, or Snapchat accounts. You’ve fine-tuned your content strategy, perfected your brand voice, and built relationships with your followers. But I’m going to suggest you hand it all over to someone else. Not forever, of course.
“So how’s work going?” If you asked me this question while I was a social media manager, you’d get a different answer almost every day. On a good day, I felt unstoppable. I loved what I did and the brands I did it for. Other days, it felt like I was stuck running as fast as I possibly could inside a hamster wheel. It’s a tough job that not everybody understands or appreciates.
Yes, this is another list of the best Google Chrome Extensions. You’ve seen it all before, right? Well, we thought we had too. But new extensions are continually emerging that can drastically change the day-to-day habits of social media marketers. Plus, a few classic extensions have undergone impressive upgrades.
Perhaps one of the greatest achievements of my life was being the ninth caller through to my local radio station and winning a copy of the Titanic soundtrack. At the time, this felt like a miraculous event. Without social media, there weren’t many ways to win things that didn’t involve frantically and repeatedly calling a phone number, or filling out an entry form from a magaz ...
Even if you’re not a bookworm, you’re familiar with literary archetypes. The selfless hero, the star-crossed lovers, the greedy king—almost any story you can imagine contains one or more archetypes which represent recognizable elements of human nature that have stayed with us through centuries. Beyond epic narratives, there’s another group that can benefit greatly from develop ...
After graduating college I remember dramatically throwing myself onto my (mother’s) couch and complaining about my unsuccessful job hunt. “Every ‘entry level’ job wants ‘one to three years of experience’ but how are you supposed to GET experience if you can’t get an entry level job?!” I wailed. Not only did I lack a wealth of job experience to back me up, I felt like my resum ...
Using hashtags, following people back, replying to every Tweet that mentions you—these are all great things you can (and should) be doing to gain more followers and build a strong presence for your business on Twitter. For this post however, let’s go beyond the basics and look at five best practices that will help you create great content, better engage with your followers, an ...
Before joining Hootsuite, I was a full time social media manager for a number of national television stations. Businesses had already widely embraced social media, and yet I was continually asked questions that made me need to take few deep, patient breaths before answering. My fellow social media managers know them well. These questions are rarely malicious.
If there’s one thing that spreads faster on social media than word of a new Beyoncé album, it’s public outrage. In fact, as reported in the New York Times, “anger is the emotion that spreads the most easily over social media.” This means a small local issue has the potential to spiral into a full-blown international crisis quickly—something no brand can afford.
If I’m wearing headphones, there’s about an 80 percent chance I’m listening to a podcast (and a 20 percent chance I’m listening to nothing and just don’t want people to bug me). Podcasts are steadily growing in popularity (thanks Serial) and yet I’m still surprised by the amount of people who turn their noses up at them, or assume they’re just another form of “boring talk radio.
If you’ve been debating whether or not to set up a YouTube account for your business, I’ll let the stats speak for themselves: it’s a platform with over 1 billion users, that regularly reaches more 18 to 34 and 18 to 49 year-olds than any cable network in the U.S. In other words, it’s a pretty big deal.