404 Errors

• Beginner’s guide to server response codes

… received your request and here is what you can expect in the next few moments.” This tiny message, including a server response code, is helpful to both the waiting client and human beings optimizing the experience. Server response codes may appear to be errors at first glance; they’re most obvious when what the user wants to happen, doesn’t…

Search Engine Watch- 14 readers -
  • Can 404 Errors Hurt Your SEO Rankings?

… You've probably encountered at least one 404 error--maybe even on your own site. A 404 error is a type of error returned when a user attempts to access a page on the server that is not specified, does not exist, or otherwise can't be accessed. There are several error codes that indicate a problem returning a requested web page, but 404s…

Search Engine Guidein SEO- 8 readers -
  • Getting Bulk PA Data for 404s with URL Profiler

… I’ve been using URL Profiler on-and-off for a few months now, mainly for full-on link analysis – especially when it comes to penalty removal and disavow work. However, as I’m sure other folks have discovered, there’s a few other cheeky ways that the software can be put to good use. I found one, and after a chat with Patrick (one of URLP’s founders…

SEOnoin SEO- 19 readers -
  • Using IP Deny Manager To Reduce Fake Visitors and Improve Site Security

… it, and use it to monitor for 404 errors for a few days to get this information for you. I configure the redirection plugin to keep a week’s worth of redirection and 404 data. Be sure you don’t let it keep more than that (but you can keep less than that) or you might end up with massive log files cluttering up your database. Once you have a few day’s…

Kim Castleberry/ Just Ask Kim- 22 readers -
Get the top posts daily into your mailbox!